Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Quick Note

Just a quick note here to say that I created a really nice loaf using the standard recipe for Pane Pugliesi for the 9x5 loaf pan. However, I did make one substitute:
I used 150g of semolina in place of 150g of unbleached flour, and added 10g of water.

So the recipe would look like this:
4755g flour
150g semolina
462g water (100 degrees)
9g salt
5g yeast

If you are not familiar with semolina, it is the coarse ground hard durum wheat grown in the southern part of Italy, including Puglia, which makes it authentic for Pane Pugliesi. There are two types - a durum flour (also called semolina flour) which is very fine, and semolina, which is coarse ground - about the consistency of sand.

Pasta is almost exclusively made from semolina.

I made this in a 9x5 loaf pan, just as before, so I used only about 820g of the dough, and stored the rest in the refrigerator for a day or two - and made a calzone.

No comments:

Post a Comment