Friday, March 11, 2011

Using Loaf Pans

I wanted to try loaf pans just to see what would happen. Using the same recipe for Pane Pugliese, this was:
625g flour
452g water - 100 degrees (F)
9g salt
4g yeast

I used warm water because I wanted a quick ferment. I started at 12noon so that I could get the bread baked by the end of the day, and mixing the ingredients, and let rise for 6 hours at room temperature. I emptied the dough onto a flat surface, and cut the dough in half (by eye), and returned half to the plastic container, and placed it into the refrigerator for use another day.

I did an envelope fold, and shaped the dough into a boule, and placed the boule into a loaf pan that I lined with parchment, and placed some corn meal onto the parchment. I covered the dough with a piece of oiled plastic, and a towel. I let this dough proof for 1 hour, and removed the oiled plastic and towel, and let the dough proof for 1 hour more.

I preheated the oven, pizza stone (on the middle rack), and roasting pan (on the bottom rack) to 450 degrees (F) for about 20 minutes before baking. Just before baking, I lightly dusted the top of the dough with flour, poured a small line of olive oil along the middle of the length of the dough, and used a razor to slice the dough.

I added a cup of heated water to the roasting pan, and placed the loaf pan on the pizza stone for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, I removed the roasting pan, and continued to bake. After 20 minutes total baking, I removed the parchment from the loaf pan, along with the dough, and slide the dough onto the pizza stone, and rotated it 180 degrees.

After 15 minutes more of baking (total 35 minutes), I inserted the probe from the electronic thermometer, and it quickly alarmed at 205 degrees (so I don't know what the true internal temperature was). I removed the loaf, and allowed it to cool.

The loaf cooled fairly rapidly in about half an hour, and this is what it looked like:


The crust and crumb were excellent, with great flavor. This may quickly become my favorite because of the shorter fermenting, baking, and cooling times.


Some notes:
Peter Reinhart suggests that for a 4-1/2 by 8 inch loaf pan, the dough should weigh 25oz (709g), and for a 5 by 9 inch pan, use 32 to 38 ounces (794 to 907g).
My pan is about 5" x 9-1/4" at the top, and about 4" x 8" at the bottom, and about 2-1/2" deep. It does hold about 8 cups of water to the rim.

He suggests allowing the dough to dome about 1" above the pan.

I calculate that my dough is roughly 1090g total, half is 545g - so this is only about 75% of the smallest reccommended size. I will increase the size of the dough next time, and see if the results are equally as good or better. It looks like (from answer below) that using about 75% of the total dough - just for ease of eyeballing, would be in the correct range (about 817g).

So to reduce the recipe to the loaf pan size:
Flour...625g...100%
Water...452g....72.3%
Salt......9g.....1.44%
Yeast.....4g.....0.64%
Total weight is 1090g, but we only want 820g (rounding for ease), about 75% of the current recipe.
Flour...469g....100%
Water...339g....72.3%
Salt......7g.....1.49%
Yeast.....3g.....0.64%
Total weight 818g

Cooks Illustrated Forum
Cook's Illustrated says:
The "standard" bread pan for quick breads is 9" x5" and holds 8 cups, more or less.

For yeast breads, the standard pan is usually 8½" x 4½" and holds six cups, more or less. I have two of them. If you want only one size loaf pan in the house, this is the one. Many quick bread recipes that call for 9" x 5" pans will fit in 8½ x 4½" pans.

Another useful size, if you can find them is about 7"x 3" with a capacity of about 4 cups. With them, you can make two loaves from a quick bread recipe and three small loaves from a two loaf yeast bread recipe.

Mini pans are usually about 5" by 3" and hold 2 cups. They are sold in sets of four and the set will hold a single recipe designed for 9" x 5" pans.

End quote.

So the next trial was to use the sourdough recipe:
1 cup of starter (about 220-240g)
515g flour
342g water - 100 degrees (F)
9g salt
4g yeast

I followed the same directions as above, except the first rise took only about 3 hours (this was too much yeast because of the leavening power of the sourdough). I used 813g of dough (it was the closest I could get to 817g when cutting it), and the dough rose too much during the second rise.

One trick that I used here that I would repeat was to trace the bottom of my loaf pan onto the parchment, and then cut from the edge of the paper to the ends of the short side of the pan. Then I folded the paper into the pan (folding the long sides around the back of the short sides), and cut the paper down to the corners, and folded the paper down - just to keep it out of the way.

The bread came out very tasty with good crust and crumb. You can see that the crust separated from the crumb somewhat, and that was probably due to too much yeast.












To reduce the sourdough recipe,
The sourdough starter was originally about 20% of the total weight. That would calculate to:
Sourdough starter 164g (82g flour + 82g water, about 3/4 cup, more or less)
Flour...387g....100% (469g-82g)
Water...257g....72.3% (339g-82g)
Salt......7g.....1.49%
Yeast.....1.5g.....(reduced amount)
Total weight 817g

More sourdough could be used, but I like the flavor that it adds without becoming "sourdough" bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment