Saturday, March 5, 2011

Using Springform Pans

One of the characteristics of Pane Pugliese is that it is a free form hearth bread. However, because the dough is so slack (wet), it creates a very flat loaf.

I personally like to use this bread for sandwiches (as well as everything else), so I want to create a loaf that has more height.



This is how I did it.
Using the formula and technique on this page:
No Refrigerator Pane Pugliese

After allowing the dough to ferment all night at room temperature, I lined a 8.5" springform pan with a piece of parchment that was about 13" square. This just happens to be the length of my particular parchment. I then sprinkled some cornmeal onto the parchment paper, and set this pan aside.

I emptied the dough onto a well floured flat surface, and did an envelope fold. I flipped the dough over, and formed a boule, and placed it into the middle of the springform pan. Hamelman or Envelope Fold



I covered the dough with a piece of plastic that I lightly oiled with olive oil, and let this sit, covered with a towel for about 2 hours. (It probably did not need to be that long, but I went for a bike ride, and set the oven to turn on about 30 minutes before I returned from my ride.) I placed a pizza stone on the oven middle rack, and a large roasting pan on the bottom rack.

When I returned, the oven was preheated to 450 degrees (F). I heated a cup of water in the microwave for 2 minutes, and in the meantime, I carefully removed the plastic from the dough, and lightly dusted the the top of the dough, and made a single razor cut down the center.

I poured half the water into the roasting pan, and closed the oven door quickly. When I was ready, I placed the springform pan onto the pizza stone, poured the rest of the water into the roasting pan, and closed the door. After 10 minutes, I removed the pan of water. After another 10 minutes of baking (20 minutes total), I opened the springform, and lifted the dough by pulling up on the parchment on two sides. I placed the parchment and dough back onto the pizza stone for about 5 minutes, and then removed the parchment after about 25 minutes total baking time.

I used a probe thermometer to monitor the internal temperature to 205 degrees (F), and removed the loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment